mardi 7 mars 2017

My review of La La Land


Hi everybody, I couldn’t help writing this review right after seeing La La Land. I can't swear that this will be objective because I really loved that film and I can't find any negative point at the moment. However, I'll try to be the last subjective possible. La La Land was directed by Damien Chazelle and was released on 9th December 2016 in the USA. I'm going to divide this review in two parts : a first one with the good points and a second one with the negative ones. I think that the story isn't surprising when we know that the director made this movie in honor of Jacques Demy’s films. In fact, it was strongly inspired by The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, and The Young Girls of Rochefort.



PART ONE – THE GOOD POINTS

First, I must say that Damien Chazelle succeeded in his homage to Jacques Demy by writing a story similar to The Umbrellas of Cherbourg with the relation between the two main characters that is as complicated as in the film by the French director. On the one hand, we have Mia who wants to be a famous actress and on the other hand we have Sebastian who is a professional music player and because he loves the jazz music, he wants to open a jazz club. They have two totally different dreams and must make some choices that cannot make them fully happy. Therefore, they must take an important choice to continue their aim : it’s their career or they relationship. We can also make a link with the numerous colored costumes, the scenes with tap dancing, the facade of the Geneviève’s shop in front of the café where worked Mia, her name appearing when Mia writes the play... Then we can see a hard work on the lights, the decorations, the music and the choreographies.


PART TWO – THE NEGATIVE POINT

Now let’s see one of the only negative points of the film. As I said, I really appreciated the film and truly think that all the prices he received are deserved. However, I can understand that saying that everyone on Planet Earth loved this movie is unbelievable. That’s the reason why I can’t stay subjective about it and must talk about a negative point, at least one. So, I think I should talk about the fact that the two main actors, interpreting Sebastian and Mia, aren't either professional singers, or dancers. Indeed, I found that they are acceptable but in a 2016 music movie we must have better performances. Okay they worked hard and yes Ryan Gosling learned to play the piano for the film but the dance can be open to criticism.

Jonathan Caplain, 1L2

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire